Jake is a Sr. Solutions Engineer at Blackboard with over 10+ of experience in education technology, faculty training, and institution success. He has worked with 10 different Learning Management Systems (ANGEL, Blackboard, Brainhoney, Canvas, Desire2Learm/Brightspace, Educator, eCollege, Haiku Learning, Moodle, and Schoology) in administrative, support, student, and instructor positions. He leverages his experience to consult prospects and existing clients on solutions that can help them improve student engagement, retention, and adoption of technology at their institution. Having both a technical (Bachelor’s in Network Communications Management) and education (Master’s in Instructional Design & Technology) background helps Jake to have a unique perspective on education technology and adoption. Jake plans on using his background to further assist institutions with achieving their goals while also working on his own personal goal of making great education software.
Sr. Solutions Engineer – Blackboard, Inc.
Duration: 7 Years (Present)
- Serve as an senior expert in Blackboard products, including their architecture, functionality, industry application, and deployment methodologies
- Participates in sales meetings with customers and prospects, presenting the technical, pedagogical, and administrative aspects of how our products, services and/or solutions solve specific customer problems.
- Engage in strategic conversations regarding Blackboard product capabilities and benefits with customer constituents
- Work with sales and accounts executives to sell product strategic value, develop client-focused solutions and document solutions in proposals as required.
- Serves as a knowledge base to help sales create periodic usage reports showing user volume, potential ROI value propositions, and areas of proposed up-sell expansion
- Develop and deliver custom presentations to key decision makers to address their business issues and needs.
- Maintain Industry, Regulatory, Trends and Competitive insight
- Deliver exemplary presentations at Trade Shows, Conferences, Workshops, Webinars and internal company meetings.
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver the technical features, competitive advantages and business benefits of Blackboard technology.
- Provide rapid, accurate responses to questions from sales staff in the field
- Provide information and recommendations to assist with the development of responses to RFPs/RFIs.
- Supports sales pipeline development activities by creating effective just-in-time training and professional development opportunities.
- Set up product presentations and evaluation environments and oversee evaluation process.
Lead Client Support Specialist – Florida Virtual School
Duration: 6 Months
- Provide customized client professional development and product suite demonstrations in live webinar environments as well as face-to-face settings.
- Communicate with prospective clients to differentiate the FLVS Global solution from competitors, anticipating and handling objections along the way.
- Develop technical documentation and writing needed for proposal responses surrounding hosted and self-hosted Learning Management System environments.
- Create and maintain a database of help guides to ensure the success of all company stakeholders including clients, teachers, students, parents, and support staff.
- Responsible for the resolution of internal and external content and system-related issues in accordance with published service level agreements.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) on several external and internal Learning Management Systems including Angel, Blackboard, Brainhoney, Canvas, Desire2Learn, eCollege, Educator, Haiku, Moodle, and Schoology.
- Engage in the delivery of content and system implementations for clients in various Learning Management Systems such as, but not limited to, Angel, Blackboard, Brainhoney, Canvas, Desire2Learn, eCollege, Educator, Haiku, Moodle, and Schoology.
- Provide rapid, accurate responses to questions from sales staff in the field.
Client Support Specialist – Florida Virtual School
Duration: 4 Years
- Perform the delivery of Florida Virtual School courses to a client’s Learning Management System and assume responsibility for the completion and quality of the work.
- Maintain courses purchased from a client by pushing out updates to courses located on the client’s Learning Management System.
- Ensure that all client issues are tracked and resolved in a timely manner.
- Work with vendors on how to import or load content and training them on any Florida Virtual School processes when necessary.
- Work with FLVS Global, Learning Management Systems Vendors, Curriculum Services, and Florida Virtual School Technical Support in resolving escalated issues from clients and channel partners, maintaining communication with all stakeholders, performing second level fixes as required.
- Assist with the investigation, evaluation, and outsourcing of learning technology initiatives, markets, and products.
- Serve as a Florida Virtual School liaison to the Learning Management System Vendors, clients using Florida Virtual School courses, training clients in use and maintenance of Florida Virtual School courses.
- Train Florida Virtual School Internal Support members on the Florida Virtual School Learning Management System functionalities.
- Investigation and evaluate new features integrated in Florida Virtual School’s Learning Management System and how they can be utilized.
- Assist in creation of automation scripts to provide efficiencies for client deployment and support.
- Utilize Web Development Technologies to revolutionize Learning Object Repositories and the delivery to and from Learning and Content Management Systems.
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as, meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others.
- Master’s Degree, Instructional Design & Technology (2017)
- B.S., Network Communications Management (2010)
- A.S., Network Systems Administration (2008)
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- Blackboard Certified Associate
- Blackboard Certified Practitioner
- Blackboard Certified Specialist
- CompTia A+
- CompTia Network+
- Restore Brazil: Church Planting Ministry in Brazil. Volunteered for one week for two years in a row with a group of missionaries to hand out supplies to families living in the slums. We lead a Vacation Bible School and preached the Gospel.
- Mission of Hope Haiti: Volunteered three times as either a participant or leader. I’ve organized and handled all of the logistics for over twenty individuals in regards to transportation, housing, funding, etc. While there, we got involved in a Vacation Bible School, planted tress, restored homes, and shared the Gospel.
- Little Lambs International: Orphanage in Jalapa, Gautemala. Helped with Vacation Bible School, planting trees, building homes, and playing with orphans.